Leather is a versatile material. Whether artifical leather or genuine leather - with laser engraving you can give wallets, belts or bracelets an individual touch of elegance. Here we present you with some tips and tricks for laser processing leather.
For an optimal engraving result activate "Air Assist" and work with 500 ppi resolution. Both parameters can be adjusted in the material database in JobControl.
Genuine leather is a natural material and there are countless types that all react differently. Therefore, it is difficult to establish common rules for laser processing.
Some points should be observed in all cases:
- If genuine leather is deforming during laser processing, we recommend to reduce the laser power.
- Do you want to clean the finished workpiece? Since it is a natural material, we can not recommend any cleaner fluid. Aggressive cleaning agents may dry out the area or form spots on the leather. If you want to use a cleanser, please test on an inconspicuous area or, even better, on a test strip.
- Imitation leather usually has a fabric layer and is therefore stable and easier to handle.
- It can be easily cleaned with a damp sponge or tissue.
- When engraving imitation leather, you can achieve a bright color change by defocusing. Defocus can be set via the Z-Offset in JobControl® (see screenshot above).