Below we show you how you can use your Trotec laser to make a wooden airplane construction kit. Kids and grown-ups will like this cute toy airplane.
Engraving materials are also available at Trotec. Browse our product range at: www.engraving-supplies.ca
- We used two different kinds of wood in our sample: (available at Trotec)
- 1 sheet Veneered Wood, Cherry, 1/8"
- 1 sheet Veneered Wood, Walnut, 1/8"
- Material to cover the engraving table (e.g. paper)
- Adhesive tape
- Speedy 360
- 80 Watts with 1.5" lens
For this sample you can use any laser machine from the Speedy series.
- Use the aluminum cutting grid table. It keeps the beam reflections to a minimum.
- The 1.5" lens produces less kerf than the 2" lens.
Import our design template into your graphic program and adapt it according to your requirements.
Our template has been designed for 1/8" thick material. Please adapt the size of the connectors according to the thickness of your wood.
|Process mode||Resolution||Cut line|
|color||enhanced geometries, |
inner geometries first
Position the wood sheet into your laser and cover the rest of the table to maximize the exhaust power. Engrave and cut the various parts.
|Color||Process||Power (%)||Speed (%)||ppi/Hz|
- We used the standard laser parameters from JobControl optimized for speed
- The material parameters of JobControl can be downloaded from www.troteclaser.com
- The higher the Z-offset when engraving, the darker the engraving result will be. At the same time, the detail of the engraving will decrease. For a good result we recommend a Z-offset value of +4 to a maximum of +6 mm.
- Cutting all parts out of two different kinds of wood produces two toy airplanes in one run.
Clean the surface and the edges from traces of dust with a damp, lint-free cloth. Assemble the airplane. Fix the parts with wood glue if necessary.
- The propeller is freely movable and is an eyecatcher due to the rotating, engraved graphic.
- Clean the material directly in the machine after cutting. This is how you can wipe the complete area in one step.
- If you want to give the airplane as a gift, you can engrave the name of the recipient on fuselage or wings.
- Combining different kinds of wood creates a trendy look.
- You can find several different kinds of wood at www.engraving-supplies.ca. Create a complete fleet of different airplanes.