Illuminated signs and displays from Werner + Plank.
Minutes preparation time
The machining time compared to the milling machine
Illuminated signage and displays made of acrylic with the SP3000 laser cutter.
The company was founded in 1969 by Günther Werner as a three-man business in the field of advertising systems. After a continuous and strong growth of employees, Roland Plank took over the company in 2015 with its 85 employees at the Rocksdorf location. Since then, he has successfully continued to manage the company as Werner + Plank Licht & Metalltechnik GmbH and now employs 145 people. The core competence of the company is the development, planning and production of high-quality illuminated advertising systems and metal components of all kinds. As the market leader in the field of large-area illuminated advertising systems, the Upper Palatinate company serves B2B customers from all over Germany (approx. 60%) and the rest of the EU (approx. 40%).
Milling cutter for material processing reaches its limits.
Werner + Plank illuminated advertising systems are mainly made of acrylic and metal. Many light fixtures consist of a basic framework of metal and a backlit cover of acrylic glass, often with inlays. For these inlaid works, at the beginning mainly with the milling machine, later also with a laser plotter from China was used. However, the milling cutter was not precise enough for the production of the inlays and the service and mechanics of the China laser were not satisfactory. Roland Plank therefore looked for an alternative to be able to work more economically and more precisely.
Our customer inquiries became more and more specific and we were therefore looking for a partner who could serve us here on a long-term basis. With the Trotec SP3000, all applications that are required in lighting technology can be covered. Acrylic inlays can be cut very sharply with the laser cutter. In addition, we can nest geometries very material-efficiently with the SP3000 and thus save 25% of the material.
More profitability with the Trotec Laser Cutter.
The entrepreneur became aware of Trotec lasers and especially of the large-area laser cutters after extensive online research. He was immediately convinced by the design of the laser cutting machines and the ability to produce many small components economically on a large work surface. Roland Plank has now had the Trotec Laser Cutter SP3000 with 400 watts installed in his production hall since 2018. The long-established company uses the large-format laser to cut mainly acrylic (PMMA), whether large letters and lettering or smaller inlays. However, the laser cutting machine is also used for many other applications in the company, such as sign engraving. At Werner + Plank, the SP3000 is used to full capacity every day in 1.5 shifts. Roland Plank and his team are enthusiastic about the precision of the Trotec laser cutter and especially appreciate the good service and the high-quality mechanics.
Finished acrylic components in flame-polished quality in just one economical step.
"With the SP3000, Werner + Plank can produce full acrylic letters, profile letters, and transparencies from Plexiglas® in only one pass. Tool changes for different work steps and fixing of the material are eliminated. Milling, on the other hand, requires frequent tool changes and the polishing of the cut edges is an additional work effort in a downstream process. With their Trotec SP3000, they were able to reduce the machining time by 50% compared to milling. Constant machining quality, low maintenance costs, minimized waste and elimination of tool costs are further advantages of the laser system."