We'll show you how you can use your Trotec laser to make a wooden airplane construction kit. Children and grown-ups alike will get endless hours of enjoyment from this this cute toy airplane.
Engraving materials available at Trotec, browse product range: www.engraving-supplies.com.au
- We used two different kinds of wood in our sample: (available at Trotec)
* 1 sheet Wood Veneer Cherry 3 mm
* 1 sheet Wood Veneer Walnut 3 mm
- Material to cover the engraving table (e.g. paper)
- Adhesive tape
- Speedy 360
- 80 Watts with 1.5" lens
For this sample you can use any laser machine from the Speedy series.
- Use the aluminum cutting grid table. It reduces the beam reflections to a minimum.
- The 1.5" lens produces less kerf than the 2" lens.
Step 1: Import /create design template
Import our design template into your graphic program and adapt it according to your requirements.
Our template has been designed for 3 mm material. Please adapt the size of the connectors according to the thickness of your wood.
|Process mode||Resolution||Cut line|
|color||enhanced geometries, |
inner geometries first
Step 2: Laser process
Position the wood sheet into your laser and cover the rest of the table to maximise the exhaust power. Engrave and cut the various parts.
|Color||Process||Power (%)||Speed (%)||ppi/Hz|
- We used the standard laser parameters from JobControl optimized for speed
- The material parameters of JobControl can be downloaded from www.troteclaser.com
- The more z-offset for engraving, the darker the engraving result. At the same time the details of the engraving decreases. For a good result we recommend a z-offset value of +4 to max. +6 mm.
- Cutting all parts out of two different kinds of wood produces two toy airplanes in one run.
Step 3: Post-processing
Clean the surface and the edges from the traces of dust with a damp lint-free cloth. Assemble the airplane. Fix the parts with wood glue if necessary.
- The propeller is freely movable and is an eyecatcher due to the rotating, engraved graphic.
- Clean the material directly in the machine after cutting. This is how you can wipe the complete area in one step.
- If you want to use the airplane as a gift, you can engrave the name of the recipient on fuselage or wings.
- Combining different kinds of wood creates a trendy look.
- You can find a lot of different kind of wood on www.trotec-materials.com. Create a complete fleet of different airplanes.