Trotec Laser machines are used in many Fab Labs, schools, universities and Maker Spaces which have a number of different people using the machines. Fabman recognised the people using the laser machines will also have different skill sets and levels of experience working with the machines. Plus, managing such a community is a lot of work and a huge responsibility. The Fabman technology was developed to manage this diverse environment of laser users and support this huge undertaking.
At the upcoming 13th international Fab Lab conference Trotec is presenting our range laser technology suitable for the Fab Lab, university and shared space envrionments. During the confenece, July 31 to August 6, Fab Lab Network members from over 1,000 Fab Labs and nealy 80 countries will convene in Santiago, Chile to share, collaborate, explore and fabricate. All of the Trotec laser machines used in the workshops will be equipped with a Fabman to prevent unattended operation. Additionally, during the conference the Founder and CEO of Fabman will present a workshop on Fabman.
Fabman is an efficient system for shared space management. It is based on a software solution combined with RFID bridges integrated with machines.
Fabman increases safety of your space for both organisers and users and simultaneously simplifies daily tasks in your lab, including:
- Safety: Fabman Bridges prevent unauthorised operation in the case a user did not complete or pass a training for that particular machine. Moreover the integrated dead man control system prevents unattended operation.
- Booking: Let users book machines for a certain time. The Fabman Bridge in combination with the member card can restrict machine usage to defined members who made a booking online.
- Automatic payments: Charge your members according to machine usage automatically.
- Statistics: Analyse resource usage, payments, member growth and many more.
- Gatekeeper: Use Fabman member cards to control access to the shared space. You can easily connect Fabman to virtually any electric door lock and log check-in and check-out times.
Happylab Vienna, Thomas Bittner (Lab Manager)
"We have more than 1700 members in our lab who have access to our machines 24/7. Thanks to Fabman, I feel confident that only authorised people work on the machines. I can access the system from anywhere and keep tabs on what is happening in our lab. Moreover I know that the machines will turn off in case of an emergency. This helps me to sleep well at night."
Fab Lab Brno, JIC (South Moravian Innovation Centre), Tomáš Mejzlík (Lab Manager)
Fabman helped Fab Lab Brno a lot with overcoming initial obstacles in setting up the lab and growing up to maturity. I like it for these features:
- Safety: it won't turn the machine on for someone without the proper introduction
- Managing access to the place for hundreds of people
- Gathering statistics about the lab, and about usage of the equipment
Werkstätte Wattens, Center for Rapid Innovation, Christan Perfler (Technical Expert)
Fabman is the ideal supplement for our lab. If someone books a machine for a certain time, only they can start it with their member card. Moreover, it allows us to automatically charge members for their bookings. Thanks to the Fabman dashboard we always have an overview about the utilisation of our machines and in case of defect equipment we can quickly deactivate it via the app.